Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Winter Olympics Are Going "Downhill"

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but it turns out that the Olympics start today, who knew? Sure, the Today show has been reporting from Vancouver all week but I kind of figured they were looking for where in the world Matt Lauer was but it has finally dawned on me that the Winter Olympic games are about to begin……….and I couldn’t care less. I remember there was a time when I knew about speed skating records being broken and that the Jamaican bobsled team was kind of a big deal. But now I don’t know who the heck is doing anything and who is expected to sweep the gold medals in any sport. I mean, where is the knee smacking drama of Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding? How about when Oksana stole the gold when she was like 15 and melted everyone’s hearts with her story of being an orphan? Does anyone care now what Brian Boitano would do? Maybe it’s different since the split between the summer and winter games, maybe I’m distracted by other things going on, or maybe I just need a good old NBC photo montage and story of overcoming impossible odds to get me back into the swing of things. Until then, I’ll just get annoyed by my favorite shows being pre-empted by the riveting coverage of cross-country skiing, archery, and curling. Yippee, pass the popcorn.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the summer olympics - watched tons of hours while baking my kids those last two weeks before they were born. I think I will do some winter olympic recording but my DVR is pretty full from TV shows I need to see - at least during the summer olympics nothing else is on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only been 18 months since the historic Chinese hosted Summer Olympics so a lot of people have Olympic fatigue. Speaking of Oskana, remember when she got arrested for that DUI when she was like 17? That's what happens when these babies end up with fame...and move to the US. I'm really only interested in figure skating, per usual. I'm totally intrigued by Johnny Weir. He looks like a queen I can get behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But don't those Dan Jansen commercials with the Morgan Freeman voiceover tug at your heart strings? just a little?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you don't know because I'm not forcing you to come to my house tonight and eat "Canadian" food while I narrate the entire parade of nations. (I'll be serving Canada Dry Ginger ale in NH tonight!) It was much easier when I just got to serve Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete