Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hugs: Do It Right or Don't Do It At All


I was talking to someone today about a recent experience she had hugging people at a baby shower and I realized something very important...not everyone is meant to be a hugger. The thing is that if you can't hug well, I kind of wish that you would acknowledge it, admit it, and find another way to greet people. Become a great high-fiver, kiss people on the cheek like a champ, or shake hands like a superstar but give up trying to hug if it's not meant to be. To me, a bad hugger is someone who puts their arms wide around you but is as stiff as a corpse and as the huggee, you get a shoulder in your throat and a tap tap tap on your back. When I hug someone, I want it to mean something and, if nothing else, I want it to at least be a comfortable experience. If you are a bad hugger, the experience is just as uncomfortable for you and someone needs to be the bigger person and stop it before it begins. I pride myself at being a good hugger and I'm just trying to give voice to something that's been kept underground for far too long. So, huggers of the world, unite and take a stand against bad hugs!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a so-so hugger. I can hug my good friends but otherwise prefer not to. It's weird because in college I was an all the time hugger. I think it is the workplace that has made me more formal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha....is this a post meeting realization?

    ReplyDelete