Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Much Ado About Nothing



So, the schools were closed, government offices shut down, companies closing early left right and center, all in preparation for the storm of the century. Parking bans were in effect all throughout the city, Home Depot was selling out of bags of salt and college students throughout the city were cheering for joy as they thought of the cash they would be pulling in from shoveling for old ladies and the housebound of Boston. I left my house in the morning thinking, “this is the last I’ll see of my sidewalk for awhile” as the first flakes began to fall. And then……I waited. Along with the rest of the city I waited and SPOILER ALERT nothing happened. That’s right, nothing happened. I don’t think we even got half an inch of accumulation in my neck of the woods. Seriously people, we live in New England and it’s SUPPOSED to snow, must we freak out at the mere thought of snowfall? Must we immediately run to the store and buy milk and bread as if we’ll never see daylight again? Must we teach our children that snow should be feared instead of embraced? Honestly, you’d think the “end times” were coming the way people were gearing up today and all for nothing. Now, the worst part of this will be the next time there’s a real storm on it’s way, there will be no preparation because everyone will remember this big pile of nothing and then we’ll be screwed. Ah, the joys of living in New England.

2 comments:

  1. People were freaking out by proxy because of the horror in the mid-atlantic states. Be happy you didn't get anything! Oh, and I have my new AI blog up so check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son cracked up at your picture of the car. Was that a college prank? Hope you are warm and toasty. The boys 4 day weekend turned into 7! Last week we had the "scary" notion that a storm was coming and we got 2 inches if that...this time we have over a foot. Seriously 'you can't take things too seriously.'

    ReplyDelete