Wednesday, December 16, 2009

One woman's communication challenge is another woman's blog topic


Okay, so I'm still cracking up thinking about a conversation I had with a trainer at my gym this morning. So, she was filling in for my regular trainer and she was trying to bond with me with some small talk. She should NEVER try to do this again. So, here's attempt number one of her trying to bond with me:

Her: So, I haven't seen you around here, have you recently started coming here?
Me: No, I've been coming since the end of May.
Her: Oh, I didn't realize that because I only recently saw you here.
Me: Yeah, I'm here pretty regularly and have been for about 6 months.
Her: Okay.
Me: Incidentally, didn't YOU just start here about a month ago?
Her: Yes.
Me: So, essentially, you probably haven't seen anyone at this gym for very long right?
Her: Yes.

So, you would think that this would have caused her to realize that the small talk wasn't going well and we should just stick to the workout, but then she tried again and SPOILER ALERT, she failed.

Her: So, what are your goals with your program?
Me: Well, I'm looking to continue to lose weight and to get in better shape.
Her: So, nothing really in particular.
Me: I would say that the losing weight and the getting in shape is pretty much what I'm looking for.
Her: So, no real goals to speak of.
Me: Umm, well, I think my goals are to LOSE WEIGHT and to GET IN SHAPE. So, those two SPECIFIC things are my real, particular goals that I would say I have.

At that point it had gone from the ridiculous to the sublime and I realized that while the conversation was going nowhere, she had given me the greatest gift of all: my next blog entry. So, thank you Lina and Merry Christmas to you too.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall to have witnessed that exchange. Too Funny, (with a captial F)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sounds like some of the winners who also "work" at my gym- and are quickly fired.

    The simple make it so easy for us to mess with them....

    ReplyDelete