Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Anxiety


So, every year this happens to me without fail. As we get closer and closer to Christmas I start to dream about the gifts I need to get for people and, inevitably, it turns into a nightmare where I imagine myself with my family opening presents only to realize that I forgot one person. Now, in my dream the forgotten gift-getter is sitting quietly in the corner looking sad as can be as they try to process the fact that I have dissed them. It's actually never happened to me and I pray that it never will, but every single year around this time, I end up having this same horrific dream many times before Christmas day. I think I need to start buying some back-up gifts, just in case. Think of it as a Christmas first-aid kit for those gift emergency situations! How about you, have you ever forgotten anyone? Or better yet, have you ever received a gift from someone unexpectedly and then realized you didn't get anything for them? Oh the holidays, it's my favorite time of the year but, oy vay, I can't handle all the anxiety!

2 comments:

  1. This year I have to think about daycare teacher gifts, cleaning people, paper boy...the list goes on and on and on. Because the Bank is so hands off for personal stuff at least I don't have to worry about getting gifts for co-workers. One less thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same nightmare about a month ago- and mine also vividly involve having nothing for someone's stocking. You'd think I had this huge family, and yet I panic....I also see myself going the route of my mother and buying things and forgetting about them, putting them away and finding them much later. Ugh....Merry Merry

    ReplyDelete