Sunday, November 1, 2009

This Is It

This afternoon I finally saw the Michael Jackson movie, This Is It. It's currently in limited release for 2 weeks and with my upcoming travel I figured it was now or never. I've always been a fan of Michael Jackson's music and videos, but never really had much of an opinion of him as a person. The thing is that after watching this movie, I don't care to weigh in on all the other stuff, but I do think that this movie gives you a rare glimpse at a true artist at work. The realization that he died before the much anticipated tour started was not far from my mind as I watched this film document the final rehearsals. The dancers, singers and musicians were all tearful as they talked about their good fortune to be a part of this production and they practiced each number with meticulous detail. They were overcome with emotion and not because they were interviewed after he died, these interviews were simply during the rehearsals. They were so excited because they felt that they had landed the opportunity of a lifetime. He was an absolute perfectionist and he had incredible vision, I can understand how in awe they must have been seeing him practice his craft in front of them. This was going to be an incredible concert, but I suppose now more people will see him perform than ever would have been able to attend one of the many sold out performances that were scheduled. I remember seeing an Oprah show recently where she said something that really resonated with me as I watched the film today. She said that watching his commitment and passion for his work makes you want to do the same in your own work. I agree with her.

There were people of all ages, races, and backgrounds watching the movie today and at the end of it, everyone broke out in applause. I know he made some strange choices during his life and I know that his untimely passing was partly his own fault. I also know that this man was a musical genius and he leaves behind quite a musical legacy. I, for one, was grateful to have had this opportunity to see a glimpse of him in his element.

To catch a glimpse of what I'm talking about, check out the trailer: http://www.thisisit-movie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment