Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Not So Rockin' New Year's Eve


Dear Mr. Clark,

I appreciate that you have been on television for longer than most people have been alive and I do appreciate that New Year’s Rockin’ Eve is an annual tradition that you don’t want to miss. However, you had a severe stroke which we are so happy you’ve recovered from, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that things are a little “different” than when you hosted TVs Bloopers & Practical Jokes. Now, I’m not saying that you can’t be involved in television and I’m not even suggesting that you can’t make an appearance now and again. But I do think it’s time to give Ryan Seacrest, or whomever else you’d like, the reins on ringing in the New Year. I think it’s important that the person doing the countdown gets all the numbers right and I also think it’s important that we can clearly understand the numbers they are saying. While no one else is going to tell you this, I feel it’s important that someone be honest and tell you that it’s just really uncomfortable. I mean Dick, if I may call you Dick, you will always be a fixture and iconic symbol of the New Year’s countdown tradition, but I think it’s time you stop being the soundtrack to it.

I hope that 2010 continues to bring you good health and recovery as well as some new directions to take your career.

Warmly,
A Concerned Viewer

3 comments:

  1. Oh my....
    My mother and I were howling about watching him. It was very odd. The next day I saw my sister and she said she switched channels because it was too uncomfortable to watch.
    You are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I have a theory that Ryan Seacrest is actually a clone of Dick Clark. Let's run it down, shall we? Dick started his career with American Bandstand. Ryan with American Idol. Dick Clark had the Top 40 Billboard radio show. Now Ryan does. Dick Clark hosted the New Year's Eve countdown. Now Ryan does it. Coincidence? I think not. Check back in 30 years and we'll see Ryan look EXACTLY the same, just like Dick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, nicely put! I didn't stay up for midnight (how lame am I), but have had the same uncomfortable feeling in years past.

    ReplyDelete