Thursday, May 13, 2010

Excuse Me, Are You Alive?



So, the other day I was parking at the grocery store when I looked over and saw something strange next to me. I noticed a woman in her car with a whole load of stuff, I'm talking TLC Hoarders kind of stuff in there. At any rate, she looked like she was taking a nap so I decided to go into the store and get the stuff I was there to quickly pick up. As I'm standing in the checkout line I start to ask myself some very important questions:


1) It's wierd to take a nap in a car in a Whole Foods parking lot, why didn't I think that was a bigger deal?

2) What if she's dead!?!?!?!?

3) What if I'm on an episode of 20/20 where they are taping what I do for a "What Would You Do" segment where they show how selfish people are?


So I hurry back to my car and see that she's still in there but now she's in a full on slump on her steering wheel and I realize that something serious could be going on here. So i go over to her car and see that she literally has stuff jammed in there from who knows when and I can't imagine her early 90's model Honda has that new car smell anymore. While I'm worried she might be dead, I'm equally worried that she's not and when I tap on the window she's gonna freak out and go all nutso on me. I slowly approach the driver's side window and give it a little tap. Shoot, no luck. So I tap again a bit louder and this gets her right up! I immediately yell out "just wanted to make sure you were alive" entirely too loudly and then run back to get into my car because now that I've seen her face, I think she might be 8 shade of crazy. I do hear her yell back "thank you" as my shaky hands try to put the key in the ignition so i can make a quick get away. I felt good abouot making sure she was ok even though I proabably should have done it before I did my shopping, but I was afraid they would run out of my favorite sushi if I didn't get there in time! So, take this as a lesson that if you are ever tempted to take a snoonze in a parking lot, just rmember that "good citizens" like myself are lurking around to wake you up and then run away real fast. Sweet dreams.

6 comments:

  1. You're so nice - I probably would have been too scared to do that! Hoarders frighten me :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat, you are such a good writer!!! I am following this blog from now on, always enjoyed Nat chat but this is even better! I wish I could turn the small events in my life into entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually heard a story about someone who worked the early shift in a grocery store who would go to her car to take a nap on her lunch break. Perhaps that is what you got here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a nice long nap at Kohl's one morning during maternity leave. The kids were home with a babysitter. Sometimes I nap in my car at work in the parking garage if I've gotten too little sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally related to "my favorite sushi running out". Definitely trumps possible dead/sleeping lady in car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One time I pulled up to a cop car to get directions while he was blocking the entrance to the highway because of construction and I didn't know how to get to the next entrance. When I got up next to him I saw that he was deep asleep. I was pretty mad that my tax dollars were paying for him to sleep and considered honking to wake him, plus I really needed directions. I thought about how this would go and quickly considered the fact that with my luck he would get scared, bolt up and shoot me. We then proceeded to drive around lost before finding the next entrance. Sleeping in the car is just a bad idea. Great post. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete