Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sleep In Heavenly Peace......Yeah Right!!!

Okay, so yesterday I told you all about my newest torture and now I’d like to share with you a little torture that’s been going on in my bedroom. Now, before you think I’m getting naughty, let me assure you that there’s less action happening in that room than a convent in the Vatican City. There are two things I’m battling lately, the first is insomnia and the other is my cat.

Let’s begin with the insomnia situation. Now, I can’t say I have a real “diagnosis” or anything, but I have decided that I have a disorder that I will now call Restless Sleepatitis. Sure, you won’t be able to find it on WebMD, but I’m pretty sure that the NIH is only days away from coming out with news about this condition. So, what happens is that I go through my day and have the normal 3pm tired spell but I recover and make it through the rest of the evening. At around 10pm I get so tired I can’t keep my eyes open, but I struggle against it because there is more entertainment to find on tv and I’m not willing to let myself go to the land of sleep just yet. Occasionally I succumb to the sleep and I don’t wake up the next morning refreshed and ready to go, I wake up 4 hours later wide awake and unable to fall back asleep until just about one hour before my alarm goes off which is a big slice of awesome pie. Now, when I win the battle of the 10pm drowsiness I can’t fall asleep until after midnight and then I’m restless until my alarm goes off at 7am. Now, the only solution I’ve found that works is having a few glasses of wine, but I hardly think my trainer or my liver would appreciate this as a method for better sleep every night.

So, in addition to my sleep challenges, I have another obstacle I face each night, the damned cat. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I love that little bugger more than I can say, but must she find the one spot on my bed to sleep each night that I want to put my feet? Must I live in fear that she will decide to play the “pounce” game when I move my feet under the covers and attack me? Does she have to see a shadow of something in the middle of the night and go on a rampage to find the mystery dust ball or whatever it is and freak me the hell out? I mean I guess she gets her kicks when and where she can, but I fear that I may have to kick her out of the bedroom soon unless she gets her act together. She’s so damned cute that I guess I let her get away with it, but the bags under my eyes are getting so big I have to check them when I go to the airport and enough is enough!

Can anyone help me with my struggle to get a good night’s sleep? Send me your advice, recipes for sleep, or drug recommendations, I’m all ears and I’ve got plenty of time to read through your ideas tonight……………

3 comments:

  1. Get into bed at 9:45 and watch a little TV or read and lights out by 10:30 pm. Works for me - totally got rid of my "4:00 am wake up and not fall asleep until 15 mins before my alarm goes off" syndrome. As we say about getting kids to sleep well - an earlier bedtime begets better sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my friend how I know your pain- but you know that. Juice Plus, Advil PM (i've switched over from the tylenol) Noise machine, wine, locking Elphie out, keep working out hard, these are all my suggestions.

    And actually, mind over matter really does help- tell yourself you will not wake up 2 am! Take the PMs one night, try to set a rhythm- but let yourself go to sleep- try to turn off the tv, don't fall asleep with it on 'cause you'll just have to wake up later to turn it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS- What's up with your posting settings? Why do I have to jump through so many hoops to put my post up?

    ReplyDelete